Work Zone SafetyFriday, August 23rd, 2013
We are currently working at three different locations along the Baltimore Beltway. This is a great time to remind workers and motorists of how important it is to work together to provide safe work zones. Lower lighting and visibility combined with high traffic volume and speed requires everyone to be focused when working in or traveling through work zones.
At P. Flanigan & Sons, we take work zone safety and awareness very seriously. We follow strict specifications outlined for traffic control through highway work zone situations such as lane closures, lane shifts, detours, shoulder work and median crossovers. We have several certified Maintenance of Traffic Managers on our job sites. Traffic control devices such as barriers, signage and temporary lighting are used to minimize confusion to motorists and heighten visibility.
What should you do when passing through highway work zones? :
- Slow Down! Speeding is the main cause of motorist related work zone incidents. Also, remember that fines double in work zones.
- Do not talk on your mobile phone and certainly don’t text. There is never a safe time to text while driving!
- Turn your headlights on. This will help with the lowered visibility through work zones.
- Stay Alert – Workers and equipment could be moving only feet away from your vehicle.
- Be patient. We are working as efficiently as we can to complete the project while always considering your safety and the safety of our employees as our number one priority.